Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Paper Pieced Cake

Do you like to paper piece? Previously it was not one of my favorite techniques.  So when this week's DTBST challenge at Sassy Studio Designs was to "use paper piecing", I had to think for a while for a good image to use.  Then I remembered I had the "Unbirthday cake" from SSD. And since everyone pieces clothes on their images, I wanted to do something different.  I figured I could piece the decorations on the cake with different papers.  So here it is:

1st page of DPs
2nd page of DPs




card front


easel folded


inside

Stuff I Used:
Image-Unbirthday Cake by Sassy Studio Designs
Colored with Copics
B00, B41, C1, C3
Paper pieces-DCWV Stack 8
DP-DCWV Stack 8
Pearl decorations-Cra•Z•Art Metallic colors markers, Pentel white gel pen highlights
Cardstock-Recollections
Sentiment-Computer generated

After I printed the cake on the different DPs, I ran the pieces through my Xyron.  I cut out each piece and it was already sticky backed. Before I put the pieces on the cake, I colored the layers to add dimension.  I colored the pearls between the layers with metallic markers (that I got at "5 Below). Once all the pieces were attached, I added shading to give the pieces dimension.
I decided to make the card an easel card and have the cake pop off the front.  I added 5/8" circles of the DP used on the cake layers and shaded them.
I also added the background paper and circles to the inside along with the sentiment. I popped up the cake and sentiment panel on homemade foam squares.

Now I may do more paper piecing. We'll see.
Thanx for looking and please comment and follow.




post signature

3 comments:

Star said...

Oh, my gosh, this is fantastic!! Your paper piecing is just incredible, and I love the coloring you did to add dimension. I just can't get over it! Using it as an easel card is just inspired. Great job!! Thanks for joining us at Sassy Studio Designs!

xx Star (SSD DT)

karalschuknecht said...

This is awesome. The paper piecing is fab and the whole card is wonderful. Thanks for joining us Sassy Studio Designs.
Karal SSD DT

CG said...

WOW this is awesome. Your shading makes it come alive! CG